Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Our One-Week Anniversary!

So, it seems that the University of Morris Global Student Teaching program was unprepared for a few developments thus far.  We are instructed to complete a fifteen-week clinical in order to meet the requirements for our student teaching, and thus be qualified to receive a teaching license.  However, we have just been informed (and I mean JUST been informed) that the term is ending three weeks early due to a nationwide standardized test taking place at our school, and the fact that Easter falls a week later this year.  Suffice to say, GST is scrambling to find a way to make sure we can meet the time requirements while we're here.  Kaylee and I would be rather upset to get off the plane, submit all our materials, and then discover we won't be getting a teaching license because we weren't here long enough.  If that happens, you all are coming with to storm the U of M, Morris with torches and pitchforks.

They (GST) are also scrambling to try and find additional work for Kaylee and I to do while we are here.  The school system is arranged in a very different way from what we are used to in the States.  Kaylee and I are subject teachers, traveling from room to room.  GST requires that we teach four, seventy-minute classes per day:  but the mentoring teachers we are assigned to only teach eight to twelve classes per week.  Nevermind the fact that these classes hold over fifty students each, and the workload rests on only one person in the English department, and two in Social Studies.  We feel like we're working hard enough.  But again, we want to be sure that GST also thinks we are.

It is our humble opinion that a few of these kinks should have been worked out before University Basic Schools, Legon - Ghana was considered an eligible candidate for the Global Student Teaching licensure program.  Or is it just us?  :-)

All these things aside, Kaylee and I are still having the time of our lives.  The people, the weather, the food, the experiences, everything brings us joy.  We're getting darn good at walking around here, and at playing gin rummy in the evenings.  I'm getting more bold with my attempts at recreating Ghanian cuisine here at the house (I've almost pefected the fried plaintain, and I cannot wait to share that with you when I get home!).

Further announcements as events warrant!  Keep up your very appreciated prayers.  We love and miss you all!

Hugs and kisses,


The Freemans

4 comments:

  1. My computer was down for a couple of days so it's good to see your blog. There's always things to deal with! Good news is there's a nice package on the way to you! Talk to you soon I hope! Love you, Momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are, let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow." Mary Irion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss you. I am almost done hemorhaging and I am less dizzy--I didn't pass out, but I was close many times. I can last at least two hours before a break--miracle breakthrough! I am on iron supplements, 3 bc pills a day for a week, and bedrest. Against the wishes of my tall, skinny, MALE doc, I made it teaching on Friday and the entire conference this weekend (to my surprise!) I stress the male part of my doc because I don't think he understands telling a midwestern farm girl to not help the fam. He will always be on the losing side if he continues this behavior. I hope others aren't able to read this, it might gross them out. Either way, I tried to write somewhat discreetly and in code so not to offend. I need to go nitenite, I'm beat. Love you love you love you.

    Mommy!;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just so you know, everyone can read this. Love you too!

    P.S. Tell that doctor that he's a quack. Hemorrhaging can be fun!

    ReplyDelete